I’ll be honest, I haven’t filed my taxes yet, or even sorted through the w-2’s laying on my dining room table. Usually I’m proactive with my taxes, but lately I’ve been so busy with school, and participating in activities, I’ve let my rush to get my refund fizzle a little.
Now it’s March so I have to get on it and file my taxes before it’s too late. One service I’ve used for years to file my Federal taxes for FREE online is H&R Block . I’ve literally been using them since I was 21 to file my own taxes. I like how I’m able to store my employer information from the previous year, and each year I file I’m able to go back and review the previous years history. This year I decided to check out other resources to see what was out there. Although I’m still going to file taxes for free with H&R Block, I found a bunch of resources for others to take advantage of.
Below is a list of resources to file your taxes for free. Most of the resources are age or income restricted, but some people qualify for services making up to $58,000 (just check your state, each varies). Also, a lot of resources require a fee for state taxes, but if you’re getting your federal filed free it’s not that much of a hassle to pay for state.
File Taxes Online FREE: Filing federal taxes online is simple and free. State returns are an additional fee.
- H&R Block : Prepare federal tax return for free. State returns are an additional fee. Free to sign up. Shows refund amount in sidebar as you continue to process.
- TurboTax: File federal tax return for free. Free e-filing, free audit support center, and live online help.
Kansas City, MO Free Tax Preparation: The places listed below will help prepare your taxes. Make sure you check the times, dates, restrictions, and required documents.
- Kansas City Public Libraries
- Mid-Continent Public Library
- Metropolitan Community Colleges-Penn Valley other MCC Locations
- Salvation Army
- UMKC Law School Library
Kansas City, KS Free Tax Preparation: The places listed below will help prepare your taxes. Make sure you check the times, dates, restrictions, and required documents.
- KCK Community College *services disponible en español*
- Catholic Charities *services disponible en español*
- Johnson County *services disponible en español*
- Valley View United Methodist Church *services disponible en español*
KCMO and KCK residents can call the United Way at 211 or 816-474-5112 for more information about eligibility, and to find other sites to prepare your taxes for free.
Other States: Here are resources to file taxes for free in your state. Some states have great resources while others don’t.
- Florida or this
- Nevada and Las Vegas
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico or this
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota or this
- Pennsylvania or this
- Rhode Island or this
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Tennessee or this
- Texas or this
- West Virginia
- District of Columbia